Professional counselors in the state of Oklahoma need to renew their licenses annually. Make sure to mark your calendars after you’re issued a license. Adhering to deadlines is extremely important to avoid penalties.
If you are newly licensed, your license is good for two years. After this initial licensing period, you need to renew annually.
The Board will email you when it’s time to renew. They’ll send you a temporary password to use so you can submit all of your renewal information. Make sure to check the email you filed with the Board often. It’s their primary means of contacting you.
How To Renew Your License As An LPC in Oklahoma
All license renewals are processed through the Oklahoma Board of Behavioral Health Licensure Candidate & Licensee Portal. Know that resident licenses expire on the last day of the month the license was issued.
You’ll need to activate your account on the portal and use the email address you filed with the Board. If you haven’t received your temporary password, you’re likely not using the email address the Board has on file.
If you need to contact them about changing your contact information, it’s important to do so as soon as possible. You can contact the board at:
State Board of Behavioral Health Licensure (BBHL)
3815 N. Santa Fe, Suite 110
Oklahoma City, OK 73118
Phone: (405) 522-3696
Fax: (405) 522-3691
What Continuing Education Do I Need For Renewal?
The state of Oklahoma requires continuing education hours for counseling ethics to be obtained through face-to-face pre-approved educational opportunities.
You need 20 hours of counseling-related continuing education credits by your renewal date. Three of those hours must be about counseling ethics.
Any home-study or technology-assisted courses must be pre-approved by the board. You can submit ten continuing education hours acquired through home study or technology-assisted learning.
Approved Continuing Education Providers
- American Counseling Association (ACA) or any of its affiliates
such as the Oklahoma Counselors Association (OCA)
- American Psychological Association (APA) or any of its affiliates
- Including the Oklahoma Psychological Association (OPA)
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) and its affiliates
- Including the Oklahoma Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (OKAMFT)
- National Association for Social Workers (NASW)
- Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) or any of its affiliates
- Such as Oklahoma Drug and Alcohol Professional Counselor Association (ODAPCA)
- Other nationally recognized professional organizations in the mental health field
- Programs approved or offered by a state or federal agency with responsibility for mental health or substance abuse services, including:
- Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (ODMHSAS)
- Board of Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselors (LADC)
- Board of Licensed Social Workers (LCSW)
- And the Board of Examiners of Psychologists
You can find a list of additional Board approved providers here.
Disapproved Continuing Education Activities
- Banquet speeches
- Education incidental to regular professional activities such as learning from experience or research
- Organizational activity such as serving on committees or an officer in a professional organization
- Non-counseling or non-therapy related content (i.e. computer, business management, or financial management courses, or courses designed to enhance the business of a private practice)
- Staff orientation
- Administrative staff meetings
- Case Management meetings
- Training specifically related to policies and procedures of a specific agency
- Book reports or critiques of professional journal articles.
Requesting Approval for Continuing Education Activities
You can request approval by submitting this application form. The Oklahoma Board’s website encourages therapists to complete the application in its entirety and with enough time for the board to process the request. You can submit the completed form to Info.BehavioralHealth@bbhl.ok.gov.
The Board reviews these requests at their regular meetings. Access the Board’s meeting calendar here to review the agenda and the minutes from each meeting.
FAQs About Renewing Your LPC In Oklahoma
When Do I Need To Have My Information Submitted To The Board?
The deadline for LPC renewal in Oklahoma is June 30th. Any professional counselor who intends to have an active practice needs to submit their fees and renewal materials on or before the renewal date.
You can start working on your renewal at any time, but you can’t submit until your submission period opens. The submission period opens 60 days before your license expires.
How Much Does Renewal Cost?
In the state of Oklahoma, renewing your LPC licensure costs $80 for the year 2022.
If you wish to renew your license under the inactive status, the fee is $25, but you cannot hold an active practice under this renewal. Your license must already be in good standing with the board to renew with an inactive status.
Your license can remain inactive for as long as you want, and when you’re ready to reactivate, you’ll need to submit a prorated fee.
What Is The Late Fee?
Who Can I Contact With Questions?
You can contact the Board directly with any question. Their office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The office is closed from December 23rd to the 26th and December 31st to January 1st.
You can also contact them via email at Info.BehavioralHealth@bbhl.ok.gov.